The official blog of The Daily.
Download the app for the full interactive experience.
Everybody knows manners are almost nonexistent online. But manners start with you! Anna Post, etiquette expert and great-great-granddaughter to Emily, shared with us a few modernized rules, the rules of text-iquette:
Is it OK to post photos of a friend’s or a relative’s kids?
You should ask first. The best time to ask is when you take the photo, or if they get dropped off say, “We might post some photos of the party online, is that OK?”
Is it OK to tag other people at a location?
As a rule, you shouldn’t share other peoples’ information. It could be as simple as posting on their Facebook wall, “I’m so sorry about your father,” when that hasn’t been posted by them yet.
Is it OK to have your phone on the table at dinner?
The fact that it will light up is like a ticking time bomb waiting to interrupt. You should be giving your attention to the person you’re scheduled to be with. We are all busy and have to juggle jobs and kids, so maybe start by saying, “There’s one email I might have to respond to.” Set that expectation and stick to it.
Is it OK to use your phone on a date?
If you’re using it to research something together — movie times or something you were talking about — that’s a smart and cooperative use of technology, as opposed to using it to contact other people. Talking to somebody else during a date, however you’re doing that, is not OK.
Which situations should be technology dead zones?
Weddings and funerals. They are really about being in the moment with the people around you. Maybe you’ll take photos at a wedding with your phone, but otherwise there’s really no reason to. I’ve heard great stories about people Skyping into weddings, but that can be very distracting. Etiquette is all about how it affects the people around you.
- xelviiraaa likes this
- blushingall-thewayhome likes this
- 13catskulls likes this
- subwaypoetry likes this
- charlescade likes this
- st reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- sweetcharade518 reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- lalalivinlife reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- lalalivinlife likes this
- streetpiracy likes this
- 000mmaxwell likes this
- littlekiddoicha likes this
- betterdaughter likes this
- bubblybabe402 likes this
- bitzermobile reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- crocodile-fundee likes this
- tonyhogman likes this
- maybeblue likes this
- breathingfeelsnice likes this
- theoneandonlypreston reblogged this from nikkipeedia
- saraahlynne reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- shewhoridesonrainbows reblogged this from quietlydestroyed
- quietlydestroyed reblogged this from mariuspontmerswag
- dannylibido reblogged this from l00king2wards
- rosegrim reblogged this from mahasocial
- randominityreigns reblogged this from yanitzamarie
- yanitzamarie reblogged this from whitedreamangst
- unicorn-meat-is-too-mainstream likes this
- unicorn-meat-is-too-mainstream reblogged this from justbeingseriouslysocial
- sociaholic reblogged this from justbeingseriouslysocial
- whitedreamangst reblogged this from justbeingseriouslysocial
- whitedreamangst likes this
- wowheadkicks reblogged this from justbeingseriouslysocial
- losingdreamsbynight reblogged this from justbeingseriouslysocial
- peacelovemusichappyness likes this
- bilkul-minimum reblogged this from justbeingseriouslysocial
- on-the-looking-glass reblogged this from thedailyfeed
- corpse-fucker reblogged this from misstinyterror
- intrinsica reblogged this from crystal-wisdoms
- intrinsica likes this
- sociaalanxiety reblogged this from justbeingseriouslysocial
- poundthatcat likes this
- chill-on-me-son likes this
- misstinyterror reblogged this from brainstastelikebaconpancakes
- believeitornut likes this